Monks are way too nimble and dextrous for my liking. I want to body my opponents! I want to suplex a train!
This lets you suplex a Tarrasque. Close enough.
But in all seriousness. I dig the idea of the monk sculpting their body into the ultimate weapon. This focuses on that concept while making a Strength monk build viable.
You excel in grappling. When you have a creature in a grapple you can expend one weapons attack to follow-up with these various techniques. Grappling Fist does not work on creatures larger than you.
If you fail a contested grapple check after attempting a Grappling Fist technique the creature is freed from your grapple.
Slam: Prerequisite: Grapple
You attempt to lift and slam a creature dealing damage and knocking them prone. Make a Contested Grapple check on a success the creature takes damage equal to two Martial Arts die+ your Strength modifier and is knocked prone.
Pin: Prerequisite: Grapple, Prone.
You take a prone creature and attempt to damage and restrain them. Make a contested grapple check, on a success the creature takes damage equal to one martial arts die + your Strength modifier and both you and the target are restrained.
Submission: Prerequsite: Grapple, Prone, Restrained.
You take a prone and restrained creature and attempt to damage them. Make a contested grapple check, on a success the creature takes damage equal to three martial arts die + your Strength modifier.
Starting at 6th level, you strike back at attacks meant for you. Whenever you take the dodge action you gain the following effects.
Vs. Melee Attacks:
Your AC gains a bonus equal to your strength modifier. If the attack misses you spend a Ki Point to use Flurry of Blows.
Vs. Ranged Attacks:
You automatically use Improved Deflect Missles vs. each attack.
Improved Deflect Missles:
You punch or kick the projectile headed your way:
- The damage reduction is now modifed by strength instead of dexterity
- If you reduce the damage to zero the projectile is automatically deflected back at the user.
- This deals bonus damage equal to the excess damage reduction past zero. (So if you were a level 6 monk with a +4 strength and rolled a 10 the attack would be reduced by 20 points of damage. If the projectile would deal 10 damage the reflected projectile would deal a bonus +10 damage.)
Starting at 11th level you can reflexively brace your body for an oncomming attack significantly lowering the damage you’ll face.
You can spend 3 Ki Points and your reaction upon taking damage to grant yourself resistance to all damage types besides Psychic until the start of your turn. This effect does apply to the triggering attack.
Starting at 17th level, you can enter a state where Ki constantly flows out of your body granting you immense power. Through using a Bonus action and expending 3 Ki Points you can enter the Unbreakable Body state. Granting the various effects.
- You expend 3 Ki Points at the start of your turn.
- Your martial arts die increases to a D12.
- If you miss an opponent with a melee unarmed attack they take damage equal to your Strength Modifier.
- You gain advantage on Strength Athletics checks.
- You can use Honed Body without expending Ki Points.
Starting at 20th level your body has become one with Ki enhancing your strength to super human levels:
- Your Strength score increases by 6 and so does its maximum.(26 Max)
- You can grapple and use Grappling Fist on creatures of any size.
Anyways that’s it, lemme know what you think in the comments or @TLCStageHazard.
If you’re interested in other D&D 5E Homebrews here’s one about an earth specialized Sorcerer.